Organizing at Athens on Aug. 1, 1861, the "Confederate Bricks" went to Memphis TN. The company joined Walker's 40th Tennessee Regiment in that city on Oct. 5, 1861, becoming Company "A". The regiment moved north to Fort Pillow on Nov. 19, 1861. In March 1862 the regiment formed part of the garrison of New Madrid MO. It surrendered with the garrison of Island Ten on April 8, 1862. Officers were sent to Johnson's Island OH, while enlisted men were imprisoned at Camp Butler IL.
1st Lieut. Charles W. Raisler worked as a cabinet maker. His parents had come to Pennsylvania from Germany. Born in Pennsylvania, Raisler came to Limestone County via New Orleans, enlisting in that city during the Mexican War. Other lieutenants were John Charles Milhouse and John James Turrentine, both age 21 when enlisted. Turrentine worked as a teacher, while Milhouse helped to operate his father's farm.