2nd Regiment, Virginia Infantry
2nd Infantry Regiment was assembled at Charles Town in April, 1861, then moved to Harper's Ferry to seize the armory. The unit was accepted into Confederate service in July. Its companies were from the counties of Clarke, Frederick, Floyd, Jefferson, and Berkeley. It became part of the Stonewall Brigade and served under Generals T.J. Jackson, R.B. Garnett, Winder, Paxton, J.A. Walker, and W. Terry. The 2nd fought at First Manassas, First Kernstown, and in Jackson's Valley Campaign. It went on to fight with the Army of Northern Virginia from the Seven Days' Battles to Cold Harbor except during the Maryland Campaign when it was detached to Martinsburg as provost guards. Later the unit was involved in Early's operations in the Shenandoah Valley and the Appomattox operations. It reported 90 casualties at First Kernstown, 25 at Cross Keys and Port Republic, 27 at Gaines' Mill, and 77 at Second Manassas. The regiment lost 2 killed and 19 wounded at Fredericksburg, had 8 killed and 58 wounded at Chancellorsville, and had about eight percent of the 333 engaged at Gettysburg disabled. On April 9, 1865, it surrendered with 9 officers and 62 men. Its field officers were Colonels James W. Allen, Lawson Botts, and John Q.A. Nadenbousch; Lieutenant Colonels Raleigh T. Colston, Francis Lackland, and William W. Randolph; and Majors Francis B. Jones, Edwin L. Moore, and Charles H. Stewart.
2nd Regiment, Virginia Infantry, Local Defense
2nd Infantry Battalion Local Defense Troops was organized at Richmond, Virginia, in June, 1863, with employees of the Quartermaster Department. It contained seven companies and in July totalled 343 men. The unit was assigned to General G.W.C. Lee's Brigade in the Department of Richmond. During September, 1864 it merged into the 2nd Infantry Regiment Local Defense Troops. The field officers were Lieutenant Colonels John W. Carter, D.E. Scruggs, and Richard P. Waller.
2nd Battalion, Virginia Infantry, Local Defense (Waller's) (Quartermaster Battalion)
2nd Infantry Regiment Local Defense Troops was formed by the consolidation of the 2nd and 6th Infantry Battalions Local Defense Troops in September, 1864. It was assigned to General G.W.C. Lee's Brigade in the Department of Richmond. Most of the men were captured at Sayler's Creek during the Appomattox Campaign. Its commanders were Colonel D.E. Scruggs and Lieutenant Colonel William E. Tanner.
I don't see a listing for a James C. Carson in any of the three units.