The Louisiana in the Civil War Message Board

Re: Wingfield's 3rd Louisiana Calvary

I do not believe that he died at Vicksburg, Port Hudson perhaps. It appears that he had two brothers or cousins serving with him.

Limon Thigpen
J J. Thigpen
W J. Thigpen

Residence was not listed;
Enlisted as Privates
"A" Co. LA 3rd Cavalry

Sources used by Historical Data Systems, Inc.:
- Index to Compiled Confederate Military Service Records


Lemon Thigpen, Private, Company A, 9th Battalion, Louisiana Partisan Rangers*, enlisted December 20, 186__ at Covington, received pay on October 1, 1862, present at an undated muster and paid for 5 months and 18 days, no further records

* This battalion subsequently became the 3rd Regiment Louisiana Cavalry

M320: Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers Who Served in Organizations from the State of Louisiana


For further information, see:;read=2121

3rd Regiment, Louisiana Cavalry (Wingfield's)

3rd (Wingfield's) Cavalry Regiment was organized during the late summer of 1864. It was formed by adding four companies to the six companies of the 9th Louisiana Cavalry Battalion. This unit confronted the Federals in Louisiana and Mississippi, then in May, 1865, was included in the surrender of the Department of Alabama, Mississippi, and East Louisiana. Colonel James H. Wingfield commanded this regiment.

Predecessor unit:

9th Cavalry Battalion [also called 1st or 9th Battalion Partisan Rangers] was organized during the early summer of 1862 with six companies and in July totalled 852 officers and men. Many of its members were recruited in the Baton Rouge area. The unit served in the Department of Mississippi and East Louisiana, was active around Baton Rouge, and was captured at Port Hudson in July, 1863. After being exchanged, it was assigned to J. Griffith's and W. Adams' Brigade and participated in various operations in Mississippi. Later the battalion merged into Wingfield's 3rd Louisiana Cavalry Regiment. Lieutenant Colonel James H. Wingfield and Major James DeBaun were in command.


9th LA Cavalry Battn
Organized: Camp Moore, LA on 5/28/62
Mustered Out: 7/8/63

Ninth Louisiana Partisan Rangers

Report of Maj. J. De Baun, Ninth Louisiana Partisan Rangers.

NEAR PORT HUDSON, May 6, 1863.

I obedience to Special Orders, No. 120, date April 28, 1863, I
immediately proceeded with 80 men in the direction of Woodville,
Miss., which place I reached on Wednesday, April 29, 1863, at 1
o'clock, when I reported by telegraph for further orders.

On the morning of Thursday, April 30, I received instructions from
headquarters to proceed gith all the cavalry to Osyka, Miss., and report
to Col. [W. R.] Miles, or to join Lieut.-Col. [George] Gantt
in the direction of the enemy. Before leaving Woodville, I divided my
command into two companies of 40 men each, one commanded by
Lieut. [B. B.] Starns and the other under Lieut. J. B. Dunn, of
Company D, the whole under Capt. [E. A.] Scott, senior captain.
Finding at Woodville a detachment of 35 men under Lieut. ------- -------,of
Company A, Gantt's cavalry, I ordered them with me. This increased
my force to 115 men. Not being able to ascertain the where-abouts of
Lieut.-Col. Gantt, I proceeded in the direction of Osyka, to report to
Col. Miles. On the same day I reached John Reeves' farm, 30 miles from
Osyka, on the Osyka and Centreville road, where I encamped for the night.

Early next morning (Friday, May 1) I resumed my line of march in the
same direction. At 11.30 a.m., the men and horses being fatigued, I
stopped to rest at Walls Bridge, 8 miles from Osyka. At about 11.45
a.m. a volley in the direction of our rear guard warned me that the
enemy was in the neighborhood. I immediately ordered the bridge to be
dismantled and the men ambushed, posting men at the bridge to destroy
it as soon as the rear guard would have reported. Some ten minutes had
now expired, and the rear guard not reporting, Capt. E. A. Scott went
up the road to ascertain, if possible, the cause of the delay. I regret to
say that he was captured by some of the enemy in the advance, wearing
our uniform. At the bridge the road suddenly turns to the left, screening
the road so the enemy could not be seen until they were at the bridge.
A few minutes after the departure of Capt. Scott, the enemy made
their appearance at the bridge, delivering two volleys at the men there
posted, without effect. Immediately my men opened a deadly own acknowledgment,
16 men and killing 15 horses. Among the wounded were Col. Prince and
Lieut.-Col. Blackburn, of the Sixth [Seventh] Illinois Cavalry. Col. Prince
has since died.* Lieut.-Col. Blackburn is a prisoner, with 3 privates,
dangerously wounded.

* An error. He was mustered out on expiration of service, October, 1864.

Besides these, 5 prisoners were captured. So deadly was our fire that the
enemy, who had succeeded in crossing the bridge, were compelled to
recross it. They, however, immediately opened upon us with artillery,
and were crossing the creek on our right.

My command being small, not more than 90 men having been engaged,
and fearing to be surrounded, I ordered a retreat in the direction of
Osyka, which was executed in good order.

At 5 p.m. I reached Osyka, but found no re-enforcements. Not being in
force (the enemy being at least 1,000 strong and four pieces of
artillery), I was unable to pursue them.

During the night cavalry re-enforcements, under Col. [R. V.]
Richardson, numbering 400 men, reached Osyka, when, at 2 a.m. May
2, we started in pursuit of the enemy toward Greensburg. On arriving
at that place, we received positive information that the enemy had
traveled all night, crossed Williams' Bridge, and were beyond our
reach, in Baton Rouge. My men and horses being almost exhausted for
want of food and rest, I proceeded to Camp Moore, it being the nearest
commissary depot, and I returned to camp on Tuesday, May 5, when I
reported in person.

My loss is 1 captain, 1 lieutenant, and 6 privates. The lieutenant and
men belonged to the rear guard; all captured.

Too much praise cannot be awarded the officers and men composing the
detachment for the bravery and coolness displayed, the officers fighting
with their revolvers, and all showing a disposition to punish the daring
of our enemies.

Maj., Cmdg. Detachment.

Capt. T. F. WILLSON,
Assistant Adjutant-Gen.

Source: Official Records
[Series I. Vol. 24. Part I, Reports. Serial No. 36.]


Reports of Lieut. Col. J. H. Wingfield, Ninth Louisiana Battalion
Partisan Rangers.

May 24, 1863.

MAJ.: I herewith furnish a report of the operations of my command
during Saturday, May 23. The report is as full as the circumstances of
the moment will permit me to make. I hope it will be satisfactory to the
major-general commanding.

I am, captain, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Lieut.-Col., Comdg.

MAJ.: Early yesterday morning I informed the major-general
commanding that the enemy had left their encampment at the ford on
Thompson's Creek, and were advancing in the direction of Mrs.
Newport's. I immediately ordered a picket of 10 men, under Lieut.
[A. C.] Bickham, of Company K, to the gate at Capt. Chambers'
plantation, on the Bayou Sara road.

At about 12 o'clock I received intelligence that the enemy's cavalry had
driven my picket, and that they had fallen back to the gain-house
on Mr. Flowers' plantation, which fact I dispatched to the major-general
commanding. Half an hour later, I received information that the enemy's
cavalry, some 50 to 100 strong, had made its appearance in the upper
field of Neville's plantation, and were in the house now occupied by
Mr. Aburger. Upon receiving this intelligence, I immediately ordered
Capt. O. P. Amacker, of Company E, and Lieut. J. B. Dunn,
of Company D, with 50 men, to Neville's field; also Capt. [William]
Turner, of Company K, and Capt. [E. S.] Morgan, of Company G,
with detachments from Companies B and F, and [E. A.] Scott's,
respectively commanded by Lieut.'s [B. B.] Starenes, [J.] Barnett,
and [M.] McQueen, above Mrs. Huston's field, near Capt. Chambers'
gate, where the enemy was reported to be. Immediately thereafter
Col. [I. G. W.] Steedman arrived at my encampment with a battalion
of the First Alabama Volunteers and a section of Watson Artillery.

The First Alabama, now under Lieut.-Col. [M. B.] Locke,
deployed itself as skirmishers in the woods in front of the left win of the
breastworks leading into Neville's field. I sent Capt. [G. W.] Lewis,
of Company C, and his men as flankers to the right wing of this
battalion, the left wing being protected by Capt. Tuner, in the
advance. This disposition of my battalion protected the left and right of
Col. Steedman's forces-the left and advance commanded by Capt.
Turner, and the right and its advanced under Capt. Amacker.

Capt. Turner reports, that, upon his arrival at the position assigned
him, he found the enemy's cavalry, estimated from 1,000 to 1,200
strong, drawn up in line of battle in Mrs. Huston's field. On their
discovering his position, the enemy fired upon him, he answering with
considerable effect, causing the enemy to fall back out for range. The
enemy, having reformed, charged Capt. Turner three times, but were
repulsed each time, after which they withdrew from Mrs. Huston's field
in the direction of the Bayou Sara road, Capt. Turner retaining his
position until this morning, when he was ordered to withdraw. Capt.
Turner had no loss.

Capt. Amacker reports having met the enemy in Neville's field. He
skirmished with them some time, driving them from Mr. Aburger's
house, and then across the field into the woods bordering on the Jackson
road. Again was the enemy driven from the woods, Capt. Amacker
occupying the position, and placing a picket in a commanding position
at the edge of the woods. Having accomplished the desired object, he
withdrew his force. It is impossible to state the enemy's loss. Several
horses were killed, and the saddles and other paraphernalia were
recovered from them. Capt. Lewis with his company, acting as
flankers, remained at their post during the entire day.

During the whole day I suffered no loss, excepting 1 man of Company
E, who was thrown from his horse while charging the enemy and had
his arm badly sprained. The enemy must have suffered considerably,
though I cannot estimate their loss.

It is with pleasure that I must make special mention of the gallant
conduct of Capt.'s Turner, Amacker, and Morgan in the manner in
which they carried out the instructions given them and the promptness
with which they kept me informed of the movements of the enemy. It
is also gratifying to me to be able to report that both officers and men
engaged behaved with the utmost coolness and bravery, and, by their
conduct, drove ten times their number.

The operations of my pickets on the Springfield road and on the Plains
Store road deserve being mentioned, as the enemy during the day
attempted to drive them back.

Maj. James De Baun and Capt. J. J. Slocum, of Company A, were
ordered by me to inspect the various posts, and they report that
Lieut. [T. M.] Bond, in command at Springfield, had two or three
skirmishes during the day, in which the enemy were each time repulsed;
that Lieut. [E.] McCain, at Plains Store, had also several skirmishes
with the advance of the enemy, repulsing them, and retaining his

Very respectfully submitted.

Lieut.-Col., Comdg.]

Assistant Adjutant-Gen.

Port Hudson, La., May 23, 1863.

It is with much pleasure the major-general commanding announces to
the troops a successful skirmish of Col. Wingfield's Partisan Rangers
with the whole force of the enemy's cavalry, in which the enemy were
several time repulsed, and finally driven back with considerable loss.

These examples of heroic conduct are cheering to us, and will convince
the enemy that we are determined to defend this post to the last.

By command of Maj. Gen. Frank. Gardner:

Assistant Adjutant-Gen.


MAY 25, 1863.

GEN.: The enemy again drove back my pickets stationed at Sandy
Creek, where the telegraph wires are placed.

Lieut. [C. C.] Harris, of Company G, commanded that post. The
ground is very open on this side of the creek, and the men necessarily
much exposed.

They have not yet crossed the creek. I am skirmishing with them now.
I regret to inform you that First Lieut. Harris was killed, and in
consequence of the open country at the ford, it was impossible to
remove his body, the enemy being ambushed across the river, the timber
being such as to enable them to do so.
I would be much pleased, general, to recover the body of Lieut.
Harris, if possible.

I am, general, your obedient servant,

Lieut. Col., Comdg. Ninth Louisiana Battalion Partisan

Maj.-Gen. GARDNER.

Source: Official Records
PAGE 165-41 W. FLA., S. ALA., S. MISS., LA., TEX., N. MEX. [CHAP. XXXVIII.
[Series I. Vol. 26. Part I, Reports & Union Correspondence. Serial No. 41.]

Messages In This Thread

Re: Wingfield's 3rd Louisiana Calvary
Re: Wingfield's 3rd Louisiana Calvary
Re: Wingfield's 3rd Louisiana Calvary
Re: Wingfield's 3rd Louisiana Calvary
Re: Wingfield's 3rd Louisiana Calvary
Re: Wingfield's 3rd Louisiana Calvary
Re: Wingfield's 3rd Louisiana Calvary
Re: Wingfield's 3rd Louisiana Calvary
Re: Wingfield's 3rd Louisiana Calvary