Allen Weaver, one of the first settlers of North Township, resides at what is known as Indian Camp Spring, located near Martin's Creek. His great-grandfather, William Weaver's father, was a soldier in the Revolutionary War, and fought by the side of Gen. Washington. The grandfather was also William Weaver. His wife was Kesiah Weaver, who died in Tennessee at an advanced old age. The father of our subject, James Weaver, was born in 1812, in North Carolina, but came to Tennessee with his parents when two years old. He was there married to Jane Whitted, in 1836. She was a native of North Carolina, and died January 29, 1875, in Sharp County. In 1851 James Weaver came to Polk County, Mo.: in 1852 went to Crawford County; the next year to Oregon, and in 1857 to where our subject now lives, where he died June 18, 1889. On coming to this place he purchased from the government 240 acres of land, at 12½ cents per acre; there are now eighty acres under fence. The subject of this sketch is the only child of James and Jane Weaver, with whom he resided until their deaths. His education was limited, and mostly received at home. September 7, 1865, he married Miss Josephine Hollinay, of Knox County, Tenn., born in 1840, a daughter of Zachariah and Eliza Hollinay, her father born in North Carolina, and her mother in Tennessee. Mr. Allan Weaver's family consists of six living children, two having died: Eliza J. (deceased),
born September 15. 1866; William A., born September 7, 1867; Margaret E., born October 3, 1862 (deceased); Joseph L., born August 15, 1870; Delila D., born March 21, 1873; Joseph N., born April 14, 1876; John W., born December 12, 1877, and Orlean S., born November 26, 1881, died November 28, 1883. Mr. Weaver enlisted, on the 12th of September, 1863, on the Federal side, in Company D, Tennessee Regiment of Light Artillery, and was discharged July 20, 1865, at Nashville. He was in the battle of Nashville, and numerous skirmishes. September 2, 1878, he was elected justice of the peace for North Township, and reelected in 1880 for another term, having been an able and efficient officer. In polities he is a Republican, but was formerly a Democrat. He owns 200 acres of land, having given forty to his son, William, who was recently married. Winsted postoffice was established at Mr. Weaver's house July 1, 1888, he being appointed postmaster. When he first located here the nearest postoffice was ten miles on Martin's Creek, called Red Bank, and his nearest neighbor two miles away. He and his wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. On this farm are traces of an ancient silver mine, supposed to have been worked by the Spaniards.