The Arkansas in the Civil War Message Board

Re: Hoadley's Battery for Danny
In Response To: Hoadley's Battery for Danny ()


The 1st Tennessee Heavy Artillery Regiment that was organized at Fort Pillow in May included those who escaped from Island #10. Those who were captured were not released from prison until September 1862 as a result of the Dix Hill Cartel that was signed in July 1862 covering the exchange of prisoners. That cartel designated Vicksburg as the western exchange point and City Point, Virginia for the east.

Fort Pillow was abandoned in early June 1862, with the heavy artillery being sent down river to Vicksburg.

From Gettysburg National Military Park archives
Capt Simon Reeder Hayman-The Confederate Soldier who finally came home-
Haymon lived in Memphis and friend of Capt J C B Jones who raised an artillery company. By March1, 1862 working on gun emplacements at Island #10-Surrendered 4/7/62-but 33 of the company escaped
4/15/62-Cairo Ill, 27 Artillery pows including S R Hayman Tenn Lt Arty -boarded boat for prison at Camp Chase. Then officers sent to Johnson Island
9/1/62-Release from prison: Hayman was taken to RR station and sent to Cincinnati and boarded steamer Jno H Done along with 1104 other pows
9/20/62 The steamer docked near Vicksburg and Major Watts, CSA commissioner of exchange greeted the returning prisoners.
While Hayman was in prison-remnants of 1st Tn HA regrouped at Ft Pillow.
6/2/62 the depleted regiment left on the steam "Golden Age' for Vicksburg from Ft Pillow
6/18/62 at Vicksburg, Gen M L Smith again restructured the 1st Tenn HA -this time into 4 full strength companies-
It was this command that Lt Hayman rejoined after he was released from prison in September

Posted By: Bryan Howerton
Date: Thursday, 6 October 2005, at 10:21 p.m.
In Response To: Arkansas men in 1st TN Heavy Artillery? (Barbara)
Barbara, an infantry company recruited in Columbia and Lafayette counties, known as the "McCown Guards", Capt. D. Whit. Harris commanding (succeeded by Capt. Paul T. Dismukes), was converted to an artillery battery and sent east of the Mississippi River, where it was assigned to the 1st Tennessee Heavy Artillery as (2nd) Company A.
I suspect that this company had originally been recruited for the 15th (Johnson/Gee) Arkansas Infantry, but got sidetracked into the artillery service before it joined the 15th Arkansas.
As a matter of interest, another Arkansas infantry company was also converted to artillery and transferred to the 1st Tennessee Heavy Artillery. Capt. Frederick W. Hoadley's Pulaski County company, the "Magruder Guards", originally Co. D, 4th Battalion Arkansas Infantry, became Company H, 1st Tennessee Heavy Artillery. Captain Hoadley was promoted to major of the regiment. Capt. William P. Parks succeeded him as company commander.

1st Regt of Tn Hvy Arty was organized 5/10/62 with 10 companies. It was then that Capt Hoadley was promoted Major of the regiment which was temporarily consolidated into 4 companies A-D in June 1862. [June 19th] by order of Gen Lovell.
At that time, the unit was aka 19th Tn Heavy Artillery Battalion
Dismuke’s Arkansas company [McCown Guards] served as Company B of the first organization and as consolidated Company A of the second organization
Hoadley’s company served as Company H of the first organization and company B of the second organization
Company B, 1st Tn Heavy Artillery [2nd organization] was ordered from Ft Pillow on June 2nd, 1862 by Gen Villepigue to Vicksburg
This company was engaged with Union gunboats at Vicksburg on June 28, 1862 losing one man killed and two severely wounded
Hoadley was subsequently killed at Vicksburg on June 8, 1863
This regiment was organized May 10, 1862, at Fort Pillow, Tennessee, with 10 companies which had previously seen service as independent batteries.
• Colonel-Andrew Jackson, Jr.
• Lieutenant Colonel-Robert Sterling
• Majors-Frederick W. Hoadley, J. D. Upton
• Paul T. Dismukes, Co. "B", "McCown Guards." Formerly Captain Dismukes' Battery, Arkansas Heavy Artillery. Date and place of organization unknown. Dismukes was enrolled at Lamartine, Arkansas, December 6, 1861. This battery was part of the heavy artillery which had just arrived at Madrid Bend when Brigadier General Trudeau** arrived March 1st. It remained until the evacuation, April 7, 1862 when, along with other artillery units under Captain Andrew Jackson, Jr., it escaped across Reelfoot Lake and reached Memphis April 14, with 36 men.
• Frederick W. Hoadley (to major), William P. Parks, Co. "H", "The Arkansas Battery." Organized at Little Rock, Arkansas, October, 1861. It was also at Madrid Bend from about March 1 until April 7, 1862, when it escaped across Reelfoot Lake and reached Memphis with 24 men.
Shortly after the reorganization, the regiment was engaged in a heavy bombardment on June 28, 1862, and again from July 12-27, 1862. In July 1862, the regiment reported 16 officers, 153 men present for duty, 284 present, 330 present and absent.


The Fourth Arkansas battalion was organized under orders of the military board, given to Francis A. Terry,
of Little Rock, formerly of North Carolina, a planter and member of the State senate. He established a camp at Little Rock, and had only partially formed his regiment, when a battalion of it was hurried to Columbus, Ky., just
after Grant s demonstration at Belmont.
It was reorganized at Corinth after the battle of Shiloh.
Upon its first organization its officers were, Lieut. -Col. Francis A. Terry, Maj. Tom McKay; Company A, Capt. William F. Hoadley, of Little Rock, First Lieut. W. P. Parks, Second Lieut. W. C. Osborne, Third Lieut. John B. Baggett ; Company B, Capt. T. F. Murff , of Pulaski county ; Company C, Capt. J. W. Hanson, of Clark county, First Lieut. J. A. Ross, Second Lieutenant Detwiler; Company D, Capt. Thomas Payne, of Prairie county, First Lieut. Tarver Toone; Company E, Capt. John Moore, First Lieutenant Blasingame, Second Lieutenant Bushnell.
Captain Hoadley’s company was given charge of a heavy gun battery at Columbus, and thenceforward was detached
and employed in the heavy artillery.
It was at Island No. 10 during the terrific bombardment of that place,
from which, after spiking their guns, upon the withdrawal of their infantry supports, Captain Hoadley and Lieutenant Baggett escaped to Memphis, but Lieutenant Osborne and his men were captured. Lieutenant Osborne died
in prison at Alton.
The company was consolidated …and placed in charge of the water batteries at Vicksburg, where Captain Hoadley,
while serving his guns, was instantly killed by a shell from the Federal batteries.

National Archives [Various records]
Gen Villepigue began the evacuation of Fort Pillow on the Mississippi River at the end of May, 1862. By June 4th, it had been abandoned and the troops sent down to Memphis to be dispersed from there to other points. This was the result of Corinth being abandoned at the end of May and then Memphis being captured on June 6, 1862. The heavy artillery was needed at Vicksburg which was then being hurriedly fortified and armed as the next bastion further down the Mississippi River.
6/2 the depleted 1st Tn HA Regt left on the steamer "Golden Age' for Vicksburg from Ft Pillow
6/3-Memphis- Rosser cdg post to Gen Ruggles- The Golden Age passed down this morning from Fort Pillow with troops for Vicksburg. We may have about 200 troops here on whom to depend, and can make no defense, except against a very meager force. We shall remain till everything is shipped and as much longer as possible. Nearly everything has been forwarded. Will finish today probably
6/3 Charles Jones at Memphis to Ruggles at Grenada-Fort Pillow is evacuated. I left the fort this morning myself. The remainder of the ammunition and 600 troops were taken by steamer Golden Age this morning to Vicksburg. The remainder of the troops, with Gen Villepigue, is coming by land. There are neither arms nor powder here. In view of the importance of holding Memphis, public meetings have been held and addressed by Gen Thompson, Col Rosser, and Captain Baird, with the most discouraging results. Col Foute will leave on the evening train for Grenada, and will explain to you the true condition of things here. Captain Baird will accompany him.
6/3 Rosser at Memphis to Ruggles at Grenada--As I have telegraphed several times, there is no force here of any moment. Might possibly raise about 300 men
The citizens are not disposed to assist. It might be well for you to come and see for yourself. I am desirous to defend the city to the last moment, but actual force here is very small indeed. Gen Villepigue's men have passed down the river; expect cavalry, which had not reported to them this morning, as ordered. He represents desertions as numerous and that the enemy captured 4 of his men this morning, and hence know all. Shall follow your orders promptly and fully
6/17 Vicksburg-Consolidation of 1st Tn HA
6/18 Vicksburg-Gen M L Smith again restructured the 1st Tn H A-this time into 4 full strength Co’s

Official Records Vol VIII
Numbers 33. Report of Captain A. Jackson, Jr., Tennessee Artillery.
MEMPHIS, TENN., April 16, 1862.
I have the honor to submit the following report of the evacuation of the post at Madrid Bend and the escape of the heavy artillery companies there under my command.
On the night of April 6, I was informed by General Mackall that he would take all the available infantry force and leave that night for some central point between Tiptonville and New Madrid, and leave the command of the post of Madrid Bend to me as ranking officer there, and instructed me to hold the place as long as possible, and when I
could do so no longer to spike the guns and escape with the command, if possible, by way of Reelfoot Lake.
On the same night, during a violent storm, one of the enemy's gunboats passed the batteries, notwithstanding all the guns opened a heavy fire immediately after the alarm from Battery Numbers 1; but owing to the extreme darkness the fire was without effect, as nothing could be seen of the boat, and only a slight noise heard on the water occasionally by some of the cannoneers.
On the morning of April 7 I learned from our couriers and stragglers that the enemy was landing large bodies of troops opposite Point Pleasant and below New Madrid and that our forces were retreating before them.
About 4 o'clock in the afternoon Lieutenant-Colonel Cook, in command of Island Numbers 10, came over to the main shore, and informed me that he had it from a reliable source that the enemy were advancing on the post unobstructed and unopposed by our forces, and also had succeeded in getting between General Mackall's immediate command and the post, and that he thought it advisable to evacuate the island, and I understood him to say that he had given the order to do so, and at that time he supposed Captain Humes, in command of heavy artillery on the island, was then spiking his guns and preparing to leave.
A few minutes after this Lieutenant Averett, commanding the floating battery, informed me that the enemy had taken the battery and had captured some of his men; but that before leaving it he had opened the valves, and shortly after it went down in deep water, with all the ordnance stores and guns on board. I then learned that the enemy were quite near the steamboats, lying about 2 miles below, and gave the order to have them scuttled.
A few minutes after this-not being able to get any communication or instructions from General Mackall, though a messenger had been dispatched, and knowing the enemy to be in the immediate vicinity and advancing towards us, and would probably be at the post in half an hour, and having no means of resistance, as the artillery are armed only with short sabers and only two guns, and they in Battery Numbers 5, which could be brought to bear upon any point in the rear of the batteries-I gave the order to spike, double-load the guns, and wedge the shot in, and for each captain to conduct his company to Reelfoot Lake, in the rear of the post, and to follow it down to Stone's Ferry, and there we would probably find the means of crossing.
Accordingly the command left the post at about 6.30 p. m., and after traveling 20 miles through woods and swamps we arrived, almost worn-out with fatigue, with the greater portion of the command, at the ferry the next day about noon, and after much labor, difficulty, and danger we landed safely on the opposite shore of the lake about sunset on the 8th instant. We proceeded thence to Dyersburg, where the citizens received us very hospitably.
We left the next day, after the stragglers had come up, for Bell's Station, on the Memphis and Ohio Railroad, and arrived there on the 11th instant, where we remained two days for stragglers to come up and for orders.
Having in the man time sent a dispatch to Humboldt, to be forwarded to the commanding officer at Corinth, but not hearing from it, and fining it difficult for so large a number of men to be accommodated at so small a place, I on the 14th instant proceeded to Memphis, and arrived here with the following companies: Company K, in command of Lieutenant Brann, with 67 men; Captain Sterling, Company E, with 66 men; Captain Rucker, with 18 men (almost his original number) Captain Hoadley, with 24 men; Captain Jones, with 33 men, and Captain Dismukes, with 36 men. It is impossible to give an accurate report as to the precise number who effected their escape from the post of Madrid Bend at present, from the fact that they are coming in daily.
I found, on reaching Bell's Station, that, contrary to orders, Captain Caruther's company had gone to Trenton, Tenn., in command of Lieutenant Roe, who, having asked permission to take his men a short distance in advance, so that they could get accommodations, as it was difficult to provide for so many together, I granted his request, and instructed him to keep his company together and wait for the remainder of the command. To my surprise, on my arrival at Bell's Station, I was informed of his having gone to Trenton. I ordered Captain Caruthers, who had escaped, though sick, and had overtaken this command, to Trenton, to collect the members of his company.
I am much indebted to Captain Kingman, quartermaster of heavy artillery, for the zeal and energy he evinced in guiding the command through the swamp to the ferry, and for providing, under so many difficulties, for all.
I regret not having been able to furnish this report sooner, and will send a complete list, when it can be procured, of all under my command who effected their escape from Madrid Bend.
Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
Captain of Artillery.
Colonel JORDAN,
Assistant Adjutant-General.

Messages In This Thread

Magruder Guards/Hoadley's Battery
Hoadley's Battery for Danny
Re: Hoadley's Battery for Danny
Re: Hoadley's Battery for Danny
Re: Hoadley's Battery for Danny
Re: Hoadley's Battery for Danny
Re: Hoadley's Battery for Danny
Re: Hoadley's Battery for Danny
Re: Hoadley's Battery for Danny
Re: Hoadley's Battery for Danny
Re: Hoadley's Battery for Danny
Re: Hoadley's Battery for Danny
Dismukes' Battery
Dismuke's Battery for Danny
Re: Magruder Guards/Hoadley's Battery