Arkansas Confederate Artillery Units.
Organized and mustered into state service in April, 1861. Re-enlisted for Confederate service, effective December 1, 1861. Assigned to support Hébert’s brigade of McCulloch’s division in northwest Arkansas in December, 1861. Fought at Leetown and Pea Ridge on March 7-8, 1862. Returned to camp near Van Buren, Arkansas, after Pea Ridge, and then moved with the Army of the West to Corinth, Mississippi, in April, 1862. Reorganized at Corinth on May 16, 1862, as a result of the Confederate Conscription Act, and assigned to support of Roane’s (later Phifer’s) brigade of Maury’s division, Army of the West, serving in northeast Mississippi. Fought at the battle of Corinth on October 3-4, 1862, and at the Hatchie Bridge crossing on October 7. Served as an unattached battery of Maury’s (later Forney’s) division in north central Mississippi from Novemer, 1862, to April of 1863, fighting in an engagement at Oakland, Mississippi, on December 3. Assigned to support of Shoup’s brigade, Martin Smith’s division, where it served during the Vicksburg campaign and in the defenses of Vicksburg during the siege. Surendered with the Vicksburg garrison on July 4, 1863, and was paroled there later the same month. One section (two guns) was reorganized to serve in eastern Louisiana in November, 1863, using two 3-inch ordnance rifles. This section served with Cosby’s brigade, Jackson’s division, Lee’s cavalry corps. The battery was reorganized in Arkansas using four 6-pounder smoothbores around September, 1864, and served in Blocher’s Fifth Light Artillery Battalion, supporting Churchill’s First Arkansas Division, and served with this division until the end of the war. Renamed as the First Arkansas Field Battery effective November 1, 1864. Surrendered with General Kirby Smith on May 26, 1865.
Officers: Captain James J. Gaines; Captain Francis McAnally; Lieutenant Frank A. Moore; Lieutenant David W. Hudgens, Second Lieutenant John P. Murphy.
Also known as: First Arkansas Artillery; Gaines’ Battery; McAnally’s Battery.
Arkansas Appeal Artillery.
The Appeal Artillery was organized at Memphis, Tennessee, in April, 1862, under the command of Captain W. C. Bryan. The battery was initially assigned to the support of Rust’s (later Dockery’s and Cabell’s) brigade in Maury’s division of the Army of the West, camped at that time around Corinth, Mississippi. The battery supported Cabell’s brigade throughout the Corinth campaign in the summer of 1862, and fought at the battle of Corinth on October 3-4, 1862. In November, the battery was reassigned to support Hébert’s brigade in Forney’s division in Mississppi, where it served during the Vicksburg campaign in the early summer of 1863, and was assigned to the Vicksburg defenses during the 47-day siege of that city in May-July, 1863. Surrendered with the Vicksburg garrison on July 4, 1863. The battery was declared to be exchanged as of December 20, 1863. The battery’s survivors reformed the battery in the Trans-Mississippi region in the late summer of 1864, at which time it was re-equipped with two 12-pounder howitzers and two 6-pounder smoothbores. The battery was renamed as the Fifth Arkansas Field Battery on November 19, 1864. Surrendered with General Kirby Smith’s army on May 26, 1865.
Officers: Captain W. C. Bryan; Lieutenant (later Captain) William N. Hogg; Lieutenant (later Captain) Christopher C. Scott; Second Lieutenant Robert S. Walker. Under Captain Hogg’s command: Lieutenant Christopher C. Scott; Second Lieutenant Robert S. Walker; Second Lieutenant R. N. Cotton. Under Captain Scott’s command: Lieutenant R. N. Cotton; Lieutenant E. W. Lightfoot.
Also known as: Fifth Arkansas Artillery.
Organized August 6, 1862, under the command of Captain W. D. Blocher. Initially assigned in January, 1863, to the support of Fagan’s Brigade in Hindman’s Division. On consolidation of the artillery units into battalion structures, the battery joined Hill’s Artillery Battalion, continuing to primarily support Fagan’s Brigade. It fought with Fagan at the Battle of Helena on July 4, 1863, and during the Little Rock campaign in August and September of that year. In April, 1864, the battery continued to support the cavalry brigade now under Colonel Archibald Dobbins, General Fagan having risen to command of the Cavalry Division. Participated with Dobbins’ brigade in Price’s Missouri Raid in September and October of 1864. Surrendered with General Kirby Smith’s army in the Trans-Mississippi on May 26, 1865.
Officers: Captain William D. Blocher; Lieutenant (later Captain) J. V. Zimmerman; Lieutenant James Cook; Second Lieutenant Edward Visart; Second Lieutenant S. W. Upchurch.
Also known as: Seventh Arkansas Artillery
Clark County Light Artillery.
Organized at Arkadelphia on July 15, 1861, armed with two 6-pounder smoothbore guns and two 12-pounder howitzers.
Officers: Captain Franklin Roberts; Lieutenant P. E. Greene (resigned April 17, 1862); Lieutenant W. C. Adams; Second Lieutenant W. T. Crouch (resigned February 4, 1862); Second Lieutenant (later Captain) Jannedine H. Wiggins; Lieutenant J. P. Bryant; Second Lieutenant J. Wylie Calloway.
Also known as: Roberts’ Battery; Wiggins’ Battery
Drew Light Artillery.
Organized February 8, 1862.
Officers: Captain James A. Owen; Lieutenant (later Captain) W. C. Howell; Lieutenant W. J. Barksdale; Lieutenant J. F. Thompson; Second Lieutenant John Gaster.
Also known as: Monticello Artillery; Owen’s Battery
Fort Smith Artillery Battery.
Officers: Captain J. G. Reid; Lieutenant Wilcox; Lieutenant J. H. Reid.
Hart’s Artillery Battery
Officers: Captain William Hart; Lieutenant D. O’Connell; Lieutenant G. W. McIntosh; Second Lieutenant E. A. Dubose; Second Lieutenant James Nolan.
Also known as: Second Arkansas Artillery; Dallas Artillery
Hoadley’s - Parks’ Heavy Artillery Company
Officers: Captain Frederick W. Hoadley; Lieutenant Robinson; Second Lieutenant (later Lieutenant and Captain) William Pratt Parks; Second Lieutenant John B. Baggett; Second Lieutenant W. H. H. Luttrell; Lieutenant W. C. Seborne.
Hughey’s Artillery Battery
Officers: Captain William M. Hughey
Also known as: Eighth Arkansas Artillery Battery
Humphrey’s Artillery Battery
Officers: Captain John T. Humpreys; Captain John W. Rivers
Also known as: First Arkansas Artillery; Rivers’ Battery
Jackson Light Artillery
Officers: Captain George W. McCown; Captain George T. Hubbard; Captain James G. Thrall
Also known as: McCown’s Battery
Key’s Artillery Battery
Officers: Captain A. W. Clarkson; Captain John H. Calvert; Captain Thomas J. Key
Also known as: Helena Artillery; Clarkson’s Battery, Calvert’s Battery
Pulaski Light Artillery Battery
Officers: Captain William E. Woodruff, Jr.; Captain John G. Marshall. Under Captain Woodruff’s command: Lieutenant John G. Marshall; Lieutenant Omer R. Weaver (killed at Wilson’s Creek); Lieutenant F. S. Williams; Second Lieutenant W. R. Douglass; Second Lieutenant J. N. Smithee; Second Lieutenant L. W. Brown; Second Lieutenant J. W. Finley.
Also known as: Totten Artillery; Woodruff’s Battery; Third Arkansas Field Artillery; Marshall’s Battery
References: William W. Woodruff, Jr., With the Light Guns in ‘61-’65
Washington Artillery Battery
Officers: Captain Chambers B. Etter
Also known as: Sixth Arkansas Artillery
West’s Artillery Battery
Officers: Captain Henry C. West
Also known as: Fourth Arkansas Artillery Battery